The Healthcare industry is one of the industries that has been slow to get on the Digital Marketing bandwagon. In any industry it can be intimidating to adapt to the ever changing marketing trends and especially in this heavily regulated industry, it has posed problematic. But saying that, the number of Irish people using the internet to research health problems and health / medical related information is increasing rapidly. According to Irish Health, “43% of adults use the internet to look up health matters, while 24% use it to source information on medicines”.
These days Digital Marketing has become more of a requirement in the Healthcare Industry. It’s no longer an option to invest time / money in Digital Marketing for pharma companies, hospitals, practices, healthcare insurance providers, medical device manufacturers etc. This industry has learned that to be able to reach and engage today’s tech savvy patients or HCP’s (Healthcare Professionals), they have to be where their audience is. That’s not to say that you have to be on every social media platform but they have to be online where their audience is hanging out.
Nowadays it’s crucial for a websites to have a content strategy focused around your top keywords. Content marketing is not a fad and it’s not going away. Google’s new algorithm has changed to favour quality content.
When you create content such as blog posts, videos, whitepapers, research reports and webinars, it gives people something to link to or to share. In addition, the content you create can rank by itself in the search engines. For example, if you write an article on “healthcare marketing” there is a possibility it will rank for some of the keywords you are using.
In the ever changing world of healthcare and pharma, there’s plenty to write about: news about your company, products, events, announcements but also technological trends, health informatics, mobile innovations, policies and legislation, clinical trials, research and reports, business news and so on.
Once you create content make sure you have a systematic approach in getting it out there. This could be creating a list of all the social media platforms, through email marketing etc. When you write an article you want it to be shared. Make sure you’re sending it out on the right platforms and even tagging the right people! It helps your website tremendously if high-quality websites are linking back to you.
You can also chose to promote your content on other websites through native advertising. Wikipedia defines native advertising as:
“a type of advertising, mostly online, that matches the form and function of the platform upon which it appears. In many cases, it manifests as either an article or video, produced by an advertiser with the specific intent to promote a product, while matching the form and style which would otherwise be seen in the work of the platform’s editorial staff.”
For example, sponsored content can be published in the pharma business section of a national newspaper.
Video has exploded online and has become one of the key components to content marketing. More and more companies in the Healthcare Industry are following suit using Explainer videos to showcase their product / service, or to educate the public about a certain disease, like in this video we created for Debra Ireland.
Medtech companies in particular often produce complex and innovative medical devices and solutions that can be hard to explain in writing in a simple and quick way. An explainer video animation or an infographic are often effective ways to educate patients and healthcare professionals through demonstrating your product, service or content in a visually friendly way. Videos or infographics can also be quicker and easier to watch instead of reading a lot of text, particularly considering HCPs’ busy schedule.
If you are looking to get an explainer video created contact us today.
SEO For the Healthcare Industry
A lot of people think SEO is a fad or that it’s dying out. This is completely untrue – unless you want your website to die off on Google then it will need search engine optimisation.
We believe ‘a website without SEO is like a car without petrol’.
It’s important that your company develops a search engine optimisation strategy to improve your company’s online appearance and visibility.
Are you a GP with a practice where patients can see you on Google search results when they look for doctor on Google? If your competitor has a better SEO strategy than you, they will rank higher in organic search results which means they will be found before you. So how do you start?
- Get things right from the very beginning, from an SEO viewpoint, and you will save hours of work further down the line.
- Research keywords that are relevant to your organisation.
- Search for keywords that patients are looking for and implement them where relevant on your website i.e “GP Dublin” or “Doctor in Dublin”. Keyword tools including Keyword Planner by Google will give you an understanding of the competition surrounding specific healthcare industry keywords. This will also give you the average monthly searches for specific keywords.
- Make sure that you have the right keywords embedded within the Title Tags, Heading tags, Meta Descriptions and content.
- Choose a relevant focus keyword for each of your website’s pages, as well as landing pages, social and blog posts and any other content your organization creates and publishes. These keywords should not be set in stone – analysis of keyword performance and adaptation are key, especially due to Google’s constant updates
- Regular Keyword analysis. SEO isn’t a one time thing – in order for your website to improve ranking on Google and other search engines you need to be maintaining and optimising your SEO on a regular basis.
Google needs to ensure that it’s search engine is providing the best results for the users so that they keep coming back. Google updates its algorithm quite frequently so analysis of keyword performance are key on a regular basis.
If you need help with your digital strategy, don’t hesitate to contact us!
- 10 Tips for Optimizing your Google AdWords Campaigns - December 5, 2017
- 5 Digital Marketing Strategies for Nonprofits - September 26, 2017
- 3 TED Talks to Inspire Your Non-profit Digital Marketing Strategy - July 11, 2017